Welcome Back! Here, Have a Prima Donna Tank and Healer Post!

I hope everyone’s holidays brought them everything they wanted, and then some.  Mine brought me friends from up north,  a faction swap of my priest back to the Horde to play with them, and a hangover (no, nothing as epic as The Hangover.)

But now, its time to get angry, healers.  And its time to show some appreciation.

Whilst parusing teh intarwebz this morning, I came across a post in a snark community (no, I’m not snarky, not at all… ) I frequently post in about ‘DPS being a dime a dozen’ and that ‘Healers and Tanks deserve loot drops more than DPS.’  What made this worst, perhaps, is that this was guest posted over at World of Matticus

Hooboy.

Rage, incoming as  I step back from my favored role as a raid healer… and put on my ‘I was a successful DPSer’ robe and hat.  (Hunter, Boomkin, Shadow Priest, and Rogue GO GO GO!)

First off, guest poster, DPS are not a dime a dozen.  Them being a dime a dozen implies that they all do the same amount of DPS, no matter what their class, have no utility whatsoever, and are pretty much required to stand there and auto attack while the tanks and the healers do all the work.

-ahem- No.  In the words of the XT-002 Deconstructor: ‘ no no No No NO NO NO NO NO.’  Seriously, dude, wth?  What do you mean the DPS are just ‘meat in the room’?  Who’s killing the boss?  Not the healer.  Not the tank (for the most part, though I do applaud Blizzard for giving you guys some DPS capabilities now.)  The Deeps.

Who’s interrupting the brutal Frostbolts on Lady Deathwhisper?  Probably your kicking Rogues.

Who’s interrupting the problematic Sentry Blast that could wipe your raid in Ulduar?  That’s probably a combination of your rogues, shaman, and warriors.

Who’s helping your Tank frontload asstons of threat?  That Hunter back there, with her Misdirection.

Who’s taking down the gangs of trash mobs that pull together?  That Shadow Priest using Mind Sear, that Mage using Blizzard, that Warlock using Rain of Fire, that Boomkin using Hurricane.

No- NOT the Tank.  Or the Healer.  The DPS.  Their whole job is to slam the boss and mobs with enough damage to kill them.  There are fights in game that REQUIRE the DPS to have a minimum personal DPS of 7.5k.  Can a Tank do that?  No.  How about a healer?  Nope, not them, either.  Do you not remember fights like Reliquary of Souls in Black Temple, where abilities HAD to be interrupted?  Where if you didn’t have a Rogue kick rotation, you wiped?

Now, please keep in mind- this isn’t to say that there aren’t idiots amongst the DPS.  There are, and there are such a large number of people that play DPS that it seems that most of the idiots are concentrated there.  But I’ve run with some pretty fail tanks and healers, so I can say with confidence that its not just them.  And its not just being DPS that makes those special cases idiots.  Some people just aren’t very good.  But idiots are not limited to DPS.  Oh no.  You would be surprised at how often I get complimented on my healing in PuGs because some people just can’t get it.  And how often do I find myself beating my head off of my desk because the tank can’t hold threat?  I assure you, its fairly often, and the majority of the reason why I just don’t PuG anymore.

And its not just this- groups are a machine.  Everything needs to be there in order for it to work.  No heals?  Tank dies.  No Tank?  Everyone dies.  No DPS?  The healer runs out of mana before the tank gets a chance to get the mob down.  Raids are even more so, because everyone is expected to perform at a level much higher than expected in a 5 man instance, where- literally- failing to put out the proper amount of DPS or do any of the other utility abilities DPS classes possess can, and will, wipe the raid.

LEAVE THE DPS ALONE.  Sure, DPS are everywhere… but good DPS are just as hard to come across as good Tanks and Healers.  And I don’t say ‘good’ and mean ‘have really good TPS/DPS/HPS and thats it.’  I mean ‘have really good HPS/TPS/DPS, don’t stand in the fire, can dance with the best of them, and can smile after its all said an done.’

So, Mr. DPS- Are- Meat- In- The- Room… tell us again exactly why it is that you feel that Healers and Tanks do all of the work?  Sure, we’re underappreciated at times… but I think your post show how even the DPS can be taken for granted.  I stand by the outstanding DPSers in my guild, who attend my raids, and make my job easier.  Cheers to you folks who continue to prove posts like the one over at WoM wrong.

What a better way to start the year at Angry Healers than with an Angry Post!  =D

Stay angry, Healers!  Up next: Icecrown Citadel strategy posts!

20 comments for “Welcome Back! Here, Have a Prima Donna Tank and Healer Post!

1. January 7, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I was totally blown away by that WoM post!

I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’m a healer and a dwarf and even a priest, so it stands to reason that I feel I am superior to everyone else but srsly, I don’t TELL PEOPLE THAT OMG

More seriously though, the DPSers are the ones that bring all the utility. A tank takes it to the face. A healer does shiny-hand movements. A DPSer decurses, interrupts, CCs, buffs, procs, etc etc etc.

Yes I have taken down Loken with the tank more often than I have with the DPS. Sure it’s possible on occasion. But more often than not, if a Healer and the Tank take down a boss all on their own, they are usually just finishing off what the DPS started.

All roles in the group are important, and to say that one role is better than the other is completely missing the point of… wait for it… GROUPING.

2. Pyoska
    January 7, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Agreed on all counts.

Except I don’t have shiny hand movements. Not like pallies OOOOOOOOO SPARKLIES. I like making dancing leaves around people, though, it makes them feel loved.

And I am squeeing that you posted here. Its like OMG ITS MISS MEDICINA
    -falls over-

I just can’t believe that someone would actually post ‘Tanks n Healz r bettar kthx’ on a blog that’s so popular… he HAD to know the backlash that was going to bring.

3. January 7, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I can’t help but wonder if he was going for publicity. Controversial statement = pageviews/site hits, and any publicity is good publicity, amirite?

The problem is, having such an inflammatory post on the site gives the appearance that Matticus himself agrees with that belief. I’m boggling, because I’m not sure why any blogger would want to risk alienating such a large portion of the playerbase. Traffic spikes are temporary, long-term readers are forever – unless you piss them off and they leave.

Not to mention the fact that the writer himself should’ve known better, for Elune’s sake. “Extra rewards might entice more people to play tanks and healers” vs. “We deserve extra rewards because we’re tanks and healers, and also you DPSers don’t matter, you’re just meat in the room” … yeah.

It’s just so tacky on so many levels. :-/

4. Pyoska
    January 7, 2010 at 1:56 pm

@Shizu (since, for some reason, I can’t reply to your reply):

Bad publicity is still publicity, if all you’re going for is pagehits. I don’t have a lot of readers, but the few I do have are here because they want to be. I’ll be damned if I’m going to piss them off. I like my lurking readers!

Matticus hasn’t said amnything about the post yet? I can’t see WoM from work, so I don’t know.

5. January 7, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Same here! I can count my regular readers on one hand; I’m sure as hell not going to piss them off – at least, not intentionally. I did make one person angry by allowing my death knight’s runeblade to be shattered in an RP story, but making my readers angry was definitely not my intention.

Only comment I’ve seen from him on the post is “On the other hand, stronger geared healers means we can bring in another DPS player instead ^^.”

-_-

6. January 7, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I think Matticus is stuck in class or something.Now I kinda want to go back and read the post to see what kind of raging comments it got, but I don’t want to feed the page hit counter!

OMG ITS ME did you know I can’t spell OCULUS? Because if you didn’t know, i had OVER 9000 PEOPLE TELL ME today.

I’ve been following this blog ever since circle of healers dude! You had me at Draenei Bucktooth Guffaw Banner.

The problem with using google reader is that you tend to lurk a lot… I’m all secretly spying on all of you bloggers!

7. Pyoska
    January 7, 2010 at 2:21 pm

@Miss

THE ULTIMATE DILEMMA: to go to the page after work and see the hell that’s been raised… or not and avoid adding a pagehit?

And you can’t spell Occulus. Hell, I don’t even know if that’s right or not. XD I KID.

And you can totally thank Ambrosyne for the banner. When we decided to start this blog and ALL MY CO-CONSPIRATORS told me I needed to set it up, I made her make us a banner. It needs moar tree (not cowbell) but I still love it!

And I really need to figure out this Reply thing… its bothering me. Time to tweak some settings.

8. Pyoska
    January 7, 2010 at 2:22 pm

O_o

Ok, I’m so checking this out when I get home. Stupid proxy blocks at work.

9. Saelym
    January 7, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Another great example of how generalizing based on poor output from some fail DPS hinders the entire group. I’ve run with my fair share of folks who can’t even clear 1k DPS in a Heroic, but dammit, I didn’t spend the last 5 years learning the nuances of my class to be told that I’m a dime a dozen when I hit a raid and DPS my pixellated heart out, stay out of the fire, and refrain from blowing up fellow raid members.

The whole article feels like shameless attention-whoring though, to be honest. It reads like it was written entirely to start a riot. Kind of like a glorified /trade troll.

10. Pyoska
    January 7, 2010 at 3:08 pm

But to do it on WoM is akin to virtual suicide. Hope that guys doesn’t expect to be taken seriously ever again.

11. Saelym
    January 7, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Agreed. I’m sure there are plenty of people out there who, after a long night of frustrating progression raiding, have a moment where they say “oh god these ______ are so fail”, but to actually post it in a very public (and highly visited) venue is a pretty ridiculous think to do. It’s not even April, not like it can be passed off as “lawl sorry guys, April Fool’s!”

12. January 7, 2010 at 4:18 pm

As the author of the post, I can say honestly that it wasn’t done for publicity or page hits or anything like that. I think the article is a fair and well constructed post – let’s not make a mountain out of a mole hill here :) Sometimes an article is just an article!

As I said on WoM’s comments, I’ve really enjoyed reading everyone’s feedback and thoughts. That’s really the point behind articles like these – to generate some constructive and thoughtful debates. Everyone has the chance to respond (like this post) and put forward their views. Right or wrong, good or bad, personally I find the whole thing very interesting! I for one can say that my views toward DPS has definitely changed after reading everyone’s feedback and that’s a great thing.

If every article on every blog was a postive reinforcement of what we already know and think then they really wouldn’t be worth reading would they :)

Nice blog btw.

13. Pyoska
    January 7, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Thank you! And thank you for responding! Especially since you’re doing it in a non-confrontational manner, it speaks very highly of you and it is appreciated. =) You do my little blog honor.

As for the topic, at least we can agree to disagree, eh?

14. January 7, 2010 at 7:43 pm

OH SNAP

ladies, we got caught. thats what we get for talkin’ smack.

15. Pyoska
    January 7, 2010 at 9:54 pm

LOL Busted.

16. January 8, 2010 at 8:58 am

ilu. Just fyi.

17. healbot pally
    January 8, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Actually… I keep Recount open and on DPS… especially in 25s.. and especially in ICC! Although I am a MT/beacon OT healz… If I can I will throw heals on the highest DPS (1-12.) Its prioritizing where your mana pool can stretch and I won’t waste it on fights like festergut… if I can heal a DPS only the highest ones get it.

18. Pyoska